KMPlayer – Versatile Media Player
Another freebie story from me. I have been using this media player for quite a while now and I never stop using it. I think everyone should use it too. Anyone not happy with their present players should give it a try and may find you’ll never go back. It’s hard to find any other player than KMPlayer and is great all around player.
If you have smartphone, mobile phone, PSP and iPOD files, KMPlayer can play frequently used formats like AVI, FLV, 3GP, MP4 and, MOV with ease. Has nearly everything a video player can have. The built in codecs have worked for pretty much anything I can throw at it.
“Not to be confused with The KMPlayer (Konqueror Media Player) is a video player for Linux KDE. It is both a plugin for Konqueror, as well as a standalone video player. It is capable of running MPlayer or xine as a backend”
This another media player that supports a wide range of codecs and file formats, it has full VCD/DVD playback functionality. KMPlayer is a software that allows you to play audio and video files. KMPlayer does not contain any adware or spyware, the latest stable version is 126.96.36.1994. Please check website for latest update.
KMPlayer worked similar to VLC player ( Video LAN ). Advanced users who wishes to gain more control over VLC and unlock more codecs options, a codec packs are needed. Additional codecs need to be tuned and tweak to make it to work with combination of media player and hardwares setup. Wrong settings can lead to video and audio hardware crashes and other types of computer problem.
Most users doesn’t want to trouble themselves over extra options they don’t understand. They mostly wanted an easy to use media player that supports a large number of multimedia formats, without the need for additional codecs. KMPlayer is a freeware, you can free download and free use this media player software. Don’t worry, KMPlayer does not contain any adware or spyware. You can download it from KMPlayer site.
The KMPlayer is a video and audio player for Microsoft Windows which can play a large number of formats such as VCD, DVD, AVI, MKV, Ogg, OGM, 3GP, MPEG-1/2/4, WMV, RealMedia, and QuickTime among others. It handles a wide range of subtitles and allows one to capture audio, video, and screenshots.
The player provides both internal and external filters with a fully controlled environment in terms of connections to other splitters, decoders, audio/video transform filters and renderers without grappling with the DirectShow merit system. Interestingly, it is said that internal filters are not registered to user’s system to keep it from being messed up with system filters.
The player can set multifarious audio and video effects, slow down or increase : playback speed, select parts of a video as favorites, do various A-B repeats, remap the keys of remote interface for HTPC including overlay screen controls, change a skin dynamically depending on a media type playing, and many more. The KMPlayer is completely customizable thanks to a wide selection of skins and color schemes, and the configuration options are very extensive. The “K” of KMP simply indicates the initial character of the developer’s family name (Kang). The full name of KMPlayer is Korean-Multimedia Player.
Supported Files or Devices
- Incomplete/Damaged AVI file (Skip Damaged Frames)
- Locked Media Files while downloading or sharing (with realtime index rebuilding under certain condition: AVI downloading in consecutive order)
- Incoming Stream delivered via HTTP (ASF/OGG/MP3/AAC/MPEG PS/MPEG TS: Only work with internal splitters)
- DirectShow playback (avi, wmv, mkv, mov, mp4, ogg theora, ogm, rmvb, mpeg1, mpeg2, http:// etc including almost every audio formats)
- Async File Source(network) filter for memory caching
- Compressed Audio Album Support (zip, rar)
- Shoutcast (Including NSV), Icecast
- DTS Wave, AC3, AAC, Ogg, Ape, MPC, FLAC, AMR, ALAC, SHN, WV, Module(MOD, S3M, MTM, UMX, XM and IT), etc.
- Google Video (GVI), Flash Video (FLV), Nullsoft Streaming Video3GP, PMP, VOB (NSV),
- Real Engine + Directshow (needs RealPlayer or Real Alternative or its decoders)
- QuickTime engine + Directshow (needs QuickTime or Alternative or its decoders)
- MPlayer engine support
- Winamp Input Plugin support
- DVD playback, ratDVD support (needs ratDVD filters)
- Audio CD (2000, XP only)
- Video CD/SVCD/XCD : CDXA Format (2000, XP only)
- VCD Image File (BIN/ISO/IMG/NRG)
- WDM device support like TV/HDTV/Camera/Cam etc
- Adobe Flash/FLC/FLI
- Various Image files like png, gif, etc.
The KMPlayer includes almost all the essential decoders required for media playback as follows. Furthermore, to get beyond the limitation of internal decoders, the external ones can be specified, so that KMP works optimally by the users’ own customization. Even though the KMP is based upon Directshow, it supports Winamp, Realmedia and Quicktime by the internal logic. Thus, it is possible to specify where to connect the media in preferences.
- Video codecs: DivX, XviD, Theora, WMV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, VP3, VP5, VP6, H.263(+), H.264(AVC1), CYUY, ASV1/2, SVQ1/3, MSVIDC, Cinepak, MS MPEG4 V1/2/3, FFV1, VCR1, FLV1, MSRLE, QTRLE Huffyuv, Digital Video, Indeo3, MJPEG, SNOW, TSCC, Dirac, VC-1, RealVideo, etc.
- Audio Codecs: AC3, DTS, LPCM, MP2, MP3, Vorbis, AAC, WMA, ALAC, AMR, QDM2, FLAC, TTA, IMA ADPCM, QCELP, EVRC, RealAudio, etc.
- External Codecs
- Media Priority to Connect among DirectShow, Real, QuickTime, Winamp and MPlayer
- Custom Filter Manager to force or block external filters
- System Filter Manager to manage (register or unregister) external filters
- Unicode Text Subtitles
- SAMI (.sami, .smi): Ruby tag support including almost every attributes
- SubRipText (.srt), MicroDVD (.sub), SMIL/RealText
- SSA, ASS, USF (Ruby support)
- VobSub, Closed Caption
- Sasami 2K (S2k)
- Embedded subtitles of ASF, MKV, OGM, MP4, MOV, VOB, 3GP
- Text to Speech for reading subtitles
The KMPlayer supports input, dsp/effect, visualization and some general plugins of winamp2/5. Before using plugins, one should specify the path of each plugin and corresponding settings.
- Winamp Plugins: Input, DSP (Can Stack), Visual (Can Stack), General Plugins (Media Library etc Support)
- KMP Video Plugins by SDK (Can Stack)
- DScaler Filter Support (Can Stack)
- KMPlayer introduces Connect media streaming (news.en.softonic.com)