Although known as a concept, in reality, the P1 is a pre-production teaser of the road car. The spiritual successor to the great F1 of the 1990s. McLaren says the P1 was designed with one simple goal:
“To be the best driver’s car in the world on road and track”
The P1, laden with tech and it’s 727 horsepower twin-turbo V8 is coupled to an electric motor that boost a total output to more than 900 horsepower. That gets to 218 miles an hour but the really groundbreaking development is in it’s aerodynamic package which can generate 600kgs of downforce even at speed well short of it’s maximum. The car weight at 1400kgs but it does wear a big price tag of £866,000 ($1,425,306).
Its V8 engine is an upgraded version of the twin-turbo charged 3.8 liter M838T unit (built by Ricardo) and currently fitted to the MP4-12C, and in the P1 delivers 727 horsepower and 530 pound-feet of torque on its own. The electric motor adds 176 horsepower and 191 pound-feet of torque, all of which can be drawn on by pressing the ‘IPAS’ (Instant Power Assist System) button on the car’s steering wheel.
In addition to the IPAS button, the P1’s steering wheel features a second button marked ‘DRS’ This is to activate the car’s Drag Reduction System, which uses technology similar to that employed on current F1 cars. Speed can be increased by reducing the amount of drag up to 23 percent–on the P1’s rear wing, which is done by changing its angle. The system immediately deactivates when the button is released, or if the driver touches the brake pedal.
What it seems, the body design has McLaren logo shape and curve all over it – noticeable at the front headlight.
Is it just me or the P1 is smiling? Maybe it’s grinning eye-to-eye because it’s so fast. Perhaps the wind is pulling it’s mouth open. Reminds me of CARS from PIXAR animation movie.
|ENGINE||3799cc 32v twin-turbo V8 hybrid|
|POWER||727bhp @ 7500rpm|
|TORQUE||531lb ft @ 4000rpm|
|ELECTRIC MOTOR||177bhp and 192lb ft|
|COMBINED TORQUE||664lb ft|
|GEARBOX||7-Speed SSG dual-clutch|
|TOP SPEED||217mph (electronically limited)|
|EV RANGE||Over 6 miles|
|LENGTH/WIDTH/HEIGHT||4588/1946/1188mm (1138mm Race)|
|BRAKES||Akebono carbon-ceramic (390mm front; 380mm rear)|
|TYRES||Pirelli P-Zero Corsa: 245/35 ZR19 front; 315/30 ZR20 rear|
|TECH HIGHLIGHTS||RaceActive chassis control, front underbody flaps, active rear wing with DRS|
- McLaren’s New Hypercar Sounds Absolutely Demonic (wired.com)
- The First “Mclaren P1” Has Arrived in South Africa! (ahead of It’s Official Launch at Daytona) (sassythesocialite.wordpress.com)
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the McLaren P1 lap the Nurburgring in under 7 minutes (digitaltrends.com)
- McLaren P1 vs. the Nurburgring (VIDEO) (motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com)
- McLaren P1 – All Hail the King (kyleleroux.wordpress.com)
- That Was Fast: First ‘Used’ McLaren P1 Already For Sale? (motorauthority.com)
- Rare $2,000,000 McLaren P1 joins 350+ exotic cars set for display at Festivals of Speed St.Petersburg. (prweb.com)