For those who get this pop up error message “Update installation failed with error 0x8004071c” when installing Google Chrome on Windows 7.
I found this working solution by Shawn of Google employee on Google Chrome discussion board.
I decided to blog this so others having this kind of issue can refer to this post.
1. Go to Start > Run and type in regedit and then press OK.
2. Find the following reg key:
For Vista and Windows 7:
The value of ImageState in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\State
The value of AuditInProgress in HKLM\System\Setup
3. Right click the reg key and select Modify
4. Delete the value then press OK.