This post has already been read 29 times!
Xbox One owners as well as PC gamers can now use the revamped Xbox One controller for gaming on the PC. Microsoft released the official Xbox One Controller Drivers for Windows 32-bit and 64-bit (Windows 7 and 8).
The Xbox One controller should work with any title that is compatible with the Xbox 360 controller. You can check out the lists of games with XInput support.Microsoft planning to release the drivers as part of a Windows update in the near future.Choose your Windows platform below and click on the download links for your driver.
- Microsoft Xbox One Controller Driver for Windows
Read this instructions for installing the drivers . Before proceeding with your driver installation, make sure you are installing the latest version available and for the appropriate model/revision and Operating System. Often restarting your system will be necessary for the new driver to become active and start functioning properly.
The Xbox One controller needs to be connected to your PC through the micro USB cable for PC gaming.
- Open the file you just downloaded. Amusingly enough, Windows will show an “unknown publisher” warning, even though the drivers are coming from Microsoft. Click Run in the box that pops up. You don’t have to plug in the controller to install the drivers.
- A setup wizard should appear. Read and accept the license agreement, wait for the installation to finish, then click Finish.
- Now, plug in your Xbox One controller. It may vibrate briefly, and you should see a “driver software installed successfully” message on the System Tray.
- At this point, you should be ready to play games that support Microsoft’s Xbox 360 controller should automatically recognize the Xbox One controller without any additional setup.
You may encounter some issue during installation:
The biggest problem is that several of the games would not recognize the controller. Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers did not help, so hopefully this is just a temporary issue that Microsoft and game developers can resolve through updates.
Also, the first time you installed the driver, Windows 7 showed a “Runtime Error” after plugging in the controller, followed by an “XboxStat.exe has stopped working” error (similar thing happen when using Xbox360 controller). The controller still worked, but the message was a nuisance. These messages went away after reinstalling the driver.
Finally, keep in mind that plugging the controller into a PC will break its wireless connection to the Xbox One. You’ll have to plug the controller back into the console via USB to pair them again.
Release Notes – Xbox
“The greatest gamepad – now even better”
- The Xbox One Wireless Controller features over 40 improvements to the award-winning Xbox 360 Wireless Controller.
- Feel the action like never before with Impulse Triggers. New vibration motors in the triggers provide precise fingertip feedback bringing weapons, crashes, and jolts to life for a whole new level of gaming realism (in supported games).
- New expansion port with high speed data transfer enables clearer chat audio when using a compatible headset. Headset sold separately. Chat features require Xbox Live Gold membership (sold separately).
- Newly designed D-pad is responsive to both sweeping and directional movements.
- Thumbstick improvements enable better grip and accuracy.
- Trigger and bumpers are designed for quicker access.
- Grips and contours have been designed to fit a wider range of hand sizes comfortably.
- Batteries fit inside the controller body, allowing your hands more room to naturally grip the controller.
- Contents: Wireless Controller and AA Batteries (2).
- Up to 30 feet wireless range.
- Connect up to 8 Wireless Controllers at once to your console.
- Menu and View buttons for easy navigation.
- Seamless profile and controller pairing. Infrared LEDs in the controller can be sensed by the Kinect sensor.
- Expansion port for add-on devices like the Chat Headset.
- Compatible with Xbox One Play and Charge Kit and Xbox One Chat Headset.