This post has already been read 43 times!
Neo-classical metal is a subgenre of the heavy metal music heavily influenced by classical music in its style of playing and composing. It implies a very technical performance and the use of elements borrowed from classical music and/or by famous classical music composers.
JerryC started the “Canon Rock” phenomenon.
“Canon Rock” is a Neo-classical metal arrangement of Johann Pachelbel‘s Canon in D major by the Taiwanese musician and composer Jerry Chang (JerryC). The song became popular on the internet after a video of JerryC playing the song was posted online. The rendition has been featured in newspapers, magazines, and television shows. Canon Rock has been covered many times on various internet communities such as YouTube and Google Video. The arrangement was composed within two weeks. Currently, JerryC is hosting lessons to teach Canon Rock to amateurs.
Covers On Youtube – The video of Pachelbel’s Canon in D Major has been viewed over 25,495,698 times on YouTube. The most famous of the covers is by a South Korean guitarist named Jeong-Hyun Lim, who is more popularly known by his internet alias, “funtwo”. His video is the fifth most viewed in YouTube history with over 31 million views and counting.Some other notable covers include versions by Learz, MattRach. Various other guitarists have covered the song, and opinions vary as to which cover is best. People of various ages have covered Canon Rock, from age of 13 to even as old as 80.The song has been covered on other instruments, such as the violin and piano. There have been covers using cell phones as well.
- Jeong-Hyun Lim (funtwo) – 4,094,442 views (and an additional 4+ million views from other uploads)
- Learz – 8,907,778 views (and an additional 200,000+ from other uploads)
- MattRach – 20,483,298 views (and an additional 5,000+ from other uploads)
- Jerry Chang (JerryC) -18,802,395 views (and an additional 2.5+ million views from other uploads)
- Rainier (theshredda) – 1,970,309 views
- Jeong-Hyun Lim (funtwo, first attempt) – 797,511 views
- MattRach (3rd attempt) – 4,180,709
- hellman (Hidenori ) – 1,605,813 views
The best cover videos I have seen are from MattRach. A 16 year old guitar genius from France.