This post has already been read 10402 times!
Treehouse, a leading online education provider, seeks to help prospective coders become great coders by providing a rich libraries of high quality videos organized into specific learning tracks, along with interactive quizzes and code challenges.
|Courses||1000+ videos, all learning tracks feature Quizzes & Code Challenges. New Video content is added weekly. Gold Subscription adds additional 200+ Videos in a variety of subject areas.|
|Student Level||Beginner to Intermediate.|
|Format||Video, Interactive Quizzes and Code Challenges with Code Consoles|
|Certification||No formal certification, although many badges help track your progress.|
|Cost||Basic Subscription is $25/month and Pro is $49/month.|
Because there are so many courses, Treehouse organizes them into what are called Tracks. These are pre-selected sequences of training topics that you complete in a specific order. Below are some examples:
- Web Design
- Rails Development
- iOS Development
- Android Development
- PHP Development
- WordPress Development
- Starting a Business
Treehouse solved this problem by creating tracks that act as a roadmap so you know what to learn next. The following track is for rails development. It starts off simple by teaching fundamentals of web design – HTML and CSS3. It then progresses further with other languages and skills you’ll need to know to become a full-fledged Rails developer.
Treehouse’s content meets such a high standard of quality is because it’s all crafted by a team of in-house expert teachers. Unlike other training websites, they don’t allow just anyone to submit a course to the library. To give you an idea of the quality of the training, here’s one of the HTML videos:
They have an elaborate set of badges that map to each course, challenge and quiz. Earning these badges is helpful to keep the motivation up and allow you to see your progress. Badges offer a way to track your progress and motivate you as you gain your skills.
Treehouse does an admirable job putting the right tools and support in place. A custom-built Forum area that provides everything you need to ask or answer questions. It is not a ghost town like many others learning libraries — you tend to see a few dozen posts each day, and the posts are thankfully tagged by subject area. Moderators are quick to answer questions to ensure that you aren’t left hanging, and the forum uses Markdown, a lightweight markup language, so it’s very easy to format your posts with code — ensuring rich answers that are easy to read.
There’s even a job board built right into the Treehouse website. This is super convenient if you’re looking for a job or even looking to hire for your business. Treehouse doesn’t just teach you how to write code, it trains you to become a coder. This is crucial if your goal is to start a career or business.
Team Treehouse is a great paid option for learning coding, specifically web development. The coursework is rigorous and interesting, the projects are good motivation, and the incentives are very useful for keeping you interested. The major highlights include the code playground and the constant stream of new content to learn.
- Learn to Build a Website or Game, Start a Business, Code, Build an iPhone App or an Android App, WordPress and more. 14 Days FREE Trial.
- Deals: 3 Months Free on Basic Annual Plan ($75 value) | 3 Month Free on Pro Plan ($147 value)
- Mobile Apps: Android | Apple iPad
- Digital Surgeons Becomes a Certified Titanium App Developer (digitalsurgeons.com)
- So, What is Code Anyway? (grasshopper.com)
- Solutions to Common Issues While Coding in WordPress (getresponse.com)
- How to optimize product images for SEO (bigcommerce.com)
- Not Your Typical Job…Work at Grasshopper Group! (grasshopper.com)
- KPCommerce.net is now a Bigcommerce Premium Partner (bigcommerce.com)
- [Video] BigCommerce Running on the iPhone (bigcommerce.com)
- TurboTax Mobile Apps: The power is in your hands to keep more of your hard-earned money (turbotax.intuit.com)
- GetResponse iPhone App 2.0 Now Available on the AppStore (getresponse.com)